If you’re applying to top residency programs, you may be looking for facts and stats that can give you an idea about one, as well as for some tips to keep you on the right track. Check out the following section for your information and guidance.
IMG Performance in the 2016 Match
- 12, 790 IMGs participated
- 27, 860 first-year positions were offered
- 6, 638 or 51.9% were matched
- 3, 769 or 50.5% not US citizens obtained
- 7, 460 IMG participants were not US citizens
- 5, 323 IMG participants wee US citizens
- 2, 869 or 53.9% US citizens were matched
Also you can learn about best pediatric residency programs here.
Ten Most IMG-Friendly States
- New Jersey, 56%
- Wyoming, 50%
- North Dakota, 45.5%
- Nevada, 41.8%
- Michigan, 40.7%
- New York, 35.6%
- Oklahoma, 33%
- Connecticut, 31.6%
- Arkansas, 31.4%
- Ohio, 30%
IMG Applicant Requirements
- There is a minimum of two months of hands-on direct clinical experience.
- The applicants must have graduated from a medical school in the last six years.
- Passed the USMLE Steps I and II knowledge test on the first attempt
- Passed the Step 2 Clinical Skills test on the first attempt
- USMLE Step 3 not required to apply
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Submit ECGMG certificate through ERAS
There is no room for error in the residency programs applications. Remember that the application is becoming more competitive, so applicants should pay attention to the requirements of the application and make sure that they stand out. Without any exemptions, applications must be presented without grammar and spelling errors. You should also make sure that you filled out and completed applications, with updated and correction information. Also, the applications must be originals and never send applications that you have submitted to other programs. In addition to these things to keep in mind, you should not miss the IMG friendly hospitals application deadlines!