Health informatics, like many other fields of specialization, requires you to have a degree in order to actually build a career and activate as an integral part of it. These degrees are not easy to come by and even though it might not be an advertised field of expertise, a health informatics degree is still difficult to obtain.
The first thing that you have to do in order to obtain a health informatics degree is to seek out a university that has health informatics programs that will enable you to first of all get a bachelor’s degree in the field.
Main Requirements to Get a Degree in Health Informatics
There are also health informatics schools that teach you both the basics and the more advanced things that are tied to this field, basically prepping you for the master’s degree that you will have to obtain in order to be successful in this field.
- The first requirement that you have to take care of, in order to get your master’s degree is to obtain your bachelor’s degree.
- Transcripts of all the courses and training that you have received in this field are mandatory, and you should always have them at hand in a scanned version on your computer, ready to be attached to your application.
- Standardized test scores, such as the GRE must be at hand again, and you must score among the top 20-30% in order to qualify for a master’s degree in the field. Something worth noting here is the fact that you must send the scores of the tests taken within the last 5 years in order to make a valid point.
- The resume, of course, must be included in your application, along with a letter of recommendation, which will actually be a bit harder to obtain than the rest.
- If English is not your first language, you must also take and pass the TOEFL exam, and attach the scores to your application. The scores for this exam must be at least 600 for the paper version and 100 for the online version. If the applicant chooses, he or she can take the IELTS proficiency exam instead of the TOEFL exam, however the score must not be any lower than 7.0 in order to qualify for the master’s program.
- Finally, you will have to attach a Statement of Academic Purpose to your application, in which you will answer questions that deal with your long term and short term goals in this field, the opportunities and challenges that this field will offer you, and any other personal or professional experience that you will be able to bring to the field itself. This essay must be around 4 double spaced pages and should be written in an academic manner.
That being said, the road to having a successful career in health informatics is paved with challenges, however if you have the endurance needed, you will ultimately prevail.